The thyroid is a gland that locates in the front of the neck and is part of the endocrine system. It, and the hormones it produces, affect almost every process in the body.
This, unfortunately, means that thyroid disorders, of which there are many, can have a huge impact on the people afflicted with them.
To make matters even more difficult, conventional treatments for thyroid conditions often cause severe side effects.
This is one of many reasons why CBD, which causes no side effects, has become a popular option for people with thyroid conditions.
In order to understand why people, use CBD oil for thyroid problems, we should first look at the benefits offered by CBD and how they work:
- Keeps your mind clear – Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the main compounds found in the cannabis plant. It and other cannabinoids interact with the body and offer health benefits through interaction with the endocannabinoid (EC) system. Unlike THC, the other main cannabinoid that’s of interest to people, CBD doesn’t produce a “high”, so you can enjoy the benefits while keeping a clear mind.
- Positive influence on many processes – Receptors in the EC system, including the main receptors CB1 and CB2, bind with natural endocannabinoids produced by the body as well as with cannabinoids from the cannabis plant. The EC system affects many processes in the body, including inflammatory responses and pain regulation.
- Pain relief – By interacting with the EC system, CBD can produce effects like pain relief, reduced inflammation, and other benefits that occur through EC system processes.
- Better mental health – EC receptors are located in and around the central and peripheral nervous systems, and they can also have an effect on things like mood. This is probably why CBD is reported to improve mood and mental health. It can be used to treat or prevent a myriad of mental health issues.
We can use CBD oil for thyroid conditions, along with many other physical problems, because of the physical benefits of CBD.
The CB2 receptors in the ECS, in particular, are related to things like the immune system and other systems in the body.
This is part of why cannabinoids can help to prevent or treat physical conditions and their symptoms, including those related to the thyroid.
Thyroid Conditions That Can Be Treated with CBD
The benefits of using CBD oil for thyroid issues can be seen both in the symptoms caused by thyroid problems and in the problems themselves.
Some of the thyroid issues that can be improved with the use of CBD oil include:
- Hyperthyroidism: occurs when the thyroid releases too much hormone. This can cause a variety of problems throughout the body and specific disorders.
- Thyroid storm: one of the specific disorders caused by hyperthyroidism.
- Hypothyroidism: when the thyroid releases too little hormone. This causes an entirely different set of problems and specific disorders.
- Thyroiditis: inflammation of the thyroid gland. This inflammation can be caused by infections, autoimmune disorders, and other health problems.
Because the thyroid and its hormones play a role in nearly every process in the body, the effects of thyroid disorders can affect just about everything.
Common symptoms associated with life with thyroid disorder include pain, inflammation, and mental health issues like anxiety or depression.
The pain-relieving, anti-inflammatory, and mood-boosting effects of CBD oil can improve or eliminate these symptoms in people with thyroid issues.
CBD oil can also promote thyroid health by assisting in proper regulation and release of hormones.
The relationship between hormone release and the endocannabinoid system is still being studied, but whatever it is, that relationship appears to be strong.
Current studies indicate that the release of hormones from the thyroid can be reduced by about one-third with the use of a drug which is a CB1 agonist.
This means that CBD, which is an antagonist (produces the opposite effect of an agonist) of CB1, will increase the release of hormones when used correctly.
In this way, CBD could be used on CB1 receptors to treat conditions caused by hypothyroidism.
Things to Consider When Buying CBD for Thyroid Health
When good CBD is used properly, it offers only health benefits and almost never causes any side effects. This makes CBD oil for thyroid conditions an ideal treatment.
However, there are still a few important things to consider, to make sure it is done correctly:
Current medications – Although CBD itself does not cause side effects, it can interact with medications in ways that cause negative effects, such as by preventing the absorption of a drug and therefore preventing treatment of the issue the drug was treating. This can include prescription thyroid medications, so if you are currently taking any of these, or any other prescription or over-the-counter medications, consult your doctor about potential drug interactions. You should also bring up any other natural treatments you use, like herbal supplements.
Product quality – You want to make sure that the CBD oil you use for thyroid health is high-quality and does not contain dangerous contaminants. CBD won’t cause health problems, but the other compounds that could taint lower-quality products might. Since the FDA doesn’t regulate cannabis products, it can be difficult to guarantee the safety of a product or the truth of the company’s claims. This is why many cannabis companies have trusted third-party testing done on their product, to prove their safety and quality. Always buy from a brand that allows you to view results of third-party testing of their products.
Local laws – In the US, cannabis is legal in many states, with more likely to legalize it in the future, and CBD specifically is legal at the federal level. However, there are some states that override this federal allowance with their own laws banning the use of CBD. Because of this, it’s still important to check local laws before using CBD oil for thyroid health, even in the US.
Make sure that CBD is legal to use in your area before buying any products, and consult your doctor about a safe way to use the treatment.